Monday, March 16, 2015

Monduino 001: Arduino Projects

    Recently I lost my main computer to old age. It was a gift from a friend, and even though it was outdated in most every way it served me well. The main HDD failed, and even though I had plenty of warning and several backups i decided it wasn't worth fixing. So, with that my computing resources are limited to my trusty Raspberry Pi 2, and the code for this weeks Monduino is lost.

    Monduino is a weekly post that will cover an Arduino project from circut to code in order to showcase some of the cool things possible with the ecosystem. I wanted to start out the Monduino series with a bit of a more complex project from the eyes of a beginner, and then in following weeks I'll go over some basics and build towards more complex projects.

    This week we begin with the Person Counter, a device that counts the number of people present in a given room, and displaying that number on an lcd. This project was inspired by others on the internet, but the code and design is entirely my own. Implemented devices include 2 HC-SR04 ultrasonic sensors, 2 leds, 3 push buttons, a 2*16 lcd display, lots of wire and several resistors.



    When a person walks in front of the sensor with the red led, and then the green, the device adds one person to the count, and the opposite happens for the reverse. Between the two sensors are three push buttons meant to adjust errors. One adds, the other subtracts, and the middle is a reset.


    Unfortunately the wiring is chaotic, but it works. In following Monduinos i will cover libraries, sensors, and lcd displays.